[R-sig-Geo] Mask() in raster package only returns RasterLayers not RasterStack or RasterBrick

Robert Buitenwerf buitenwerf at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Sep 27 15:32:32 CEST 2011

Dear members,

I am very happily using the raster package but here is a problem I can't
solve.

When I use the mask function on  a RasterBrick or RasterStack:

raster_mask <- mask( raster_stack, SpatialPolygonDataFrame)

raster returns a RasterLayer and gives me a warning:

"In .rasterFromRasterFile(grdfile, band = band, objecttype) : size of
values file does not match the number of cells (given the data type)"

When I use mask on a single layer from a brick or stack (e.g. mask(
RasterStack[1], SpatialPolygon*) ) it returns a correctly masked
rasterlayer.

I am trying to mask with a SpatialPolygonDataFrame, read in with
readShapePoly of the maptools package.
R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

I am sure I missed something simple and I hope someone would point it
out to me.

Thanks,
Robert