[R-sig-Geo] small data set for an example

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 12:05:54 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Hodgess, Erin <HodgessE at uhd.edu> wrote:
> Dear R Sig Geo People:
>
> Does anyone have a small "real" data set with the longitude and latitude, along with a couple of data values per location that they would be willing to share, please?
>

> I'm using simulated data but thought it would be nice to try with a regular set.

 If you want something that's literally up-to-the-minute then try the
USGS real-time earthquake data, available in CSV format so you can
just read.csv-it directly. Various ones listed here:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/

 > require(sp)
 > url="http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/eqs1day-M1.txt"
 > q=read.csv(url)
 > coordinates(q)=~Lon+Lat
 > plot(q)

you get the depth and magnitude of the quake, as well as the "NST" but
I don't know what that is...

Barry