[R-sig-Geo] Fwd: Hat matrix in ggwr models with adaptative kernel

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Sep 20 21:56:39 CEST 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Marcos Freitas wrote:

> Hi Prof. Bivand,
>
> Thanks for the explanation of the problems founded in the implementation of
> GWR in R. My objective is to use logistic GWR in the generation of land use
> classes probabilities maps in my PhD thesis, an exploratory use as well. The
> objective of having a hat matrix for me is to compute AIC`s to perform a
> comparison of models with different included independent variables. So, I`ll
> be delighted if you or other colleagues would provide me some references
> about those statistical issues on GWR and where I can found more information
> about the spgwr implementation of ggwr function. Certainly, I`ll be asked
> about those issues if I don`t clearly understand and explain such
> implementation. Thanks in advance.

Hi Marcos,

The GWR literature consists of papers "boosting" (promoting) the method,
and quite a lot of unanswered criticism, notably starting with Wheeler &
Tiefelsdorf (2005). That problem is that any collinearity in the data set
may very well be amplified in local settings, that the geographical
weights strengthen any collinearity present. There are other issues too,
such as it being difficult to reconstruct what GWR3 does with respect to
the GWR book - local R2 is an example, where gwr() tries to follow what
may be a forthcoming GWR4.

I don't think it has been shown that GWR is a reliable modelling tool, it
works as an exploratory tool to point up possible misspecification.

Hope this helps,

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no