[R-sig-Geo] Antw: Re: import a jpg/etc. map into R?

Alexander Arpaci alexander.arpaci at boku.ac.at
Tue Sep 13 12:58:11 CEST 2011

When I used to do something like this I used the georeferencing
funtionalities of ArcGis
You could try to fix the old spanish map with lat and long over a actual
map referencing to cities, rivers or ...

just a thought
hth
alex

MSc. Alexander Arpaci
Assistant researcher

Department of Forest - and Soil Sciences
Institute of Silviculture
Tel. +43-1-47654-4081
e-mail: alexander.arpaci at boku.ac.at
www.wabo.boku.ac.at
>>> Marcelino de la Cruz  13.09.11 12.47 Uhr >>>
Hi Malcolm,

digitize package may be  a first try

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/library/digitize/html/00Index.html

HTH,

Marcelino

At 12:33 13/09/2011, Malcolm Fairbrother wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>The answer may well be 'no', but does anyone
>know of a straightforward way to import into R a
>map in the form of a simple jpeg (or bmp, gif, etc.) image file?
>
>I'm thinking of a situation where you have something like this:
>
>http://www.learnnc.org/lp/media/uploads/2007/09/1492spain.jpg
>
>or
>
>http://www.spainthenandnow.com/userimages/Spain%20General%20Map%20Wikimedia.png
>
>Latitude and longitude lines are given in the
>image, and they should be usable for identifying
>the geographical location of any given pixel,
>but the projection of the map is not immediately
>apparent, and the map is not in a vector format
>where lines or polygons can be easily
>identified. What I'd like to do is read in this
>kind of file, have R find the edges (identified
>somehow by differences in pixel colours I
>guess), and convert the areas defined by those
>edges into a SpatialPolygons object, with lat/long coordinates.
>
>There may well be no easy way to do this (or not
>even a difficult way), but I thought I'd check
>if anyone has any ideas. I prefer to use R, but
>if some other (preferably open source) software
>could help me, I'd be interested to know. Even
>suggestions like "IF you could get it into X
>format, THEN you could*" might be useful. I'm
>not a GIS person, unfortunately. On the other
>hand, I am pretty handy with R, and a regular
>user of several of the maps/spatial/raster packages.
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>- Malcolm

Marcelino de la Cruz Rot
Depto. Biologia Vegetal