[R-sig-Geo] define projection for Raster data

didimayr dieter.mayr at boku.ac.at
Wed Sep 7 17:11:02 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have a very simple problem, I just want to define a projection for raster
data. However I have no experience with spatial analysis with R, so maybe
someone could give me a hint:

My data are radiation raster data for Austria, in .asc-format .
I have the following information:

Map projection: geographic (latitude/longitude), ellipsoid WGS84
North: 49N
South: 46:30N
West:  9:30E
East:   17:30E
Resolution 1'30''

...giving a total of 100 rows and 320 columns.

Is this information enough to get the right projection and if yes, how do I
define it in R?

Thank you so much and kind regards
Dieter Mayr from Vienna