[R-sig-Geo] Building RGDAL to enable access to new GDAL OGR drivers

cmundy Craig.Mundy at utas.edu.au
Tue Sep 6 07:45:41 CEST 2011

Hi all,

On the theme of building RGDAL to take advantage of new(ish) OGR drivers
available in GDAL, and, heeding Rogers comments on this topic in recent
posts, I am looking for help with an updated procedure (recipe) for
compiling RGDAL to take advantage of specific GDAL OGR  drivers
(mssqspatial, wfs) on Windows 7 platforms.

At a recent GIS/Fisheries conference there was an interest from several
attendees on a more seemless integration of R with spatial RDBMS and/or web
portals for spatial data (e.g. as for postgre/postgis). We were all rather
daunted at the prospect of achieving this on Windows and my clumsy attempts
to date have not yielded success (although a scan of blogs and posts, it
seems less problematic on MacOS).

The instructions/guides to compile RGDAL from source for MS windows to link
to the GDAL driver libraries are now quite dated, and a more up to date
guide would help us access drivers of interest that are not part of the
standard drivers included in RGDAL. One of the original authors of some of
those instructions was equally daunted by this task.

Some questions as a start;

1) has anyone achieved this on Win7 recently?

2) how important is it to compile everything from source: i.e.  R, rgdal,
gdal -   or can standard binaries be used for some components

3) is there a description anywhere of which Win7 system enviornmental
variables for GDAL are required by RGDAL

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Regards

Craig

P.s. Funding could be made available if there is interest to develop an
updated set of instructions for general use.