[R-sig-Geo] MODIS download

Babak Naimi naimi at itc.nl
Thu Oct 27 23:28:29 CEST 2011

Dear Matteo,

Thanks for your nice package. Actually, I was not aware of this package. I think the ModisDownload and getHDF functions work almost the same since in both you can select a range of tiles and dates for required Modis product. The nice thing, however, about your package is that you only need to know the name of MODIS product for downloading it, while in ModisDownload you need to introduce the FTP address. In ModisDownload also I guess it is nice as by executing one command, you can download, subset, mosaic, reproject and have the images in Geotiff format.

About wget, I think it is not necessary to have it on your machine for windows (at least for windows 7!). I used the following command inside ModisDownload and tested it on Windows and Linux. It works fine!

download.file(url,destfile=ModisName,mode='wb',method='auto',quiet=T, cacheOK=FALSE)

Best regards,
Babak