[R-sig-Geo] Random Forest Classifier

Alexander Brenning brenning at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 26 16:49:13 CEST 2011

Dear Mohammed,

there is a growing body of literature using the random forest method
(and the related bagging technique) in remote sensing, e.g.:

Pal (2005) in Int. J. Remote Sensing
Lawrence et al. (2006) in Remote Sensing of Environment
Brenning (2009) in Remote Sensing of Environment
Knudby et al. (2010) in Remote Sensing of Environment

(see also references cited by these articles)

Random forests in R can be applied to rasters using several packages
including RSAGA and raster. The RSAGA approach is outlined in this article:
http://www.environment.uwaterloo.ca/u/brenning/Brenning-2008-RSAGA.pdf
(Small update: use the new and more efficient 'local.function' instead
of 'multi.local.function' in RSAGA. Note that these functions do not
require SAGA GIS to be installed.)

I hope this helps getting you started...

Best,
   Alex

--
Alexander Brenning