[R-sig-Geo] Lights at night data

steven mosher moshersteven at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:52:13 CEST 2011

Marco  as noted this data is only available in 30 arcseconds which is
a sensor limitation ( 2.7km pixel.. there abouts)

have a look at the radiance calibrated version

"http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/dmsp/data/radcal/F16_2006_radiance.tgz"

basically, by fiddling  with the gain of the sensor they are able to
detect much lower level lights
and also avoid some of the over saturation you get over big cities...
it basically gives you a wider dynamic range

I think they may have this in a time series  version.. write the PI he
is very responsive.

Steve