[R-sig-Geo] Calling R from QGIS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Oct 25 00:54:00 CEST 2011

On 10/24/2011 02:06 PM, Sandeep Patil wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I searched for this question online but could not find a satisfactory
> answer.
>
> How many of you use Quantum GIS and R together . I want to access as much
>
> R functionality through QGIS as possible to manipulate my data within
>
> QGIS itself. Any advice welcome.
>
> I tried a plugin called ManageR but it is having some issues and cant be
> installed properly.
>
> Essentially what is the best tool out there that can help me
>
> get the best of both worlds QGIS and R integrating them in different ways
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sandeep

ManageR really is the easiest way, the key is getting rpy2 installed
properly (thats the python to R bridge). You have to do that step
yourself ManageR does not install that lib for you. Sometimes it's also
necessary to tweak the PATH variable (On Windows). If you email on the
qgis-user list we can try to troubleshoot that part of the install.

Aside from that you can load almost any spatial dataset directly in R
with the rgdal package. Manipulate, save back out to whatever format you
prefer and then visualize it in QGIS.

I tend to use spatialite and postgis heavily as I can then also pull any
table information I want via SQL commands in R with the RSQlite and
RPostgresql packages.

Enjoy,
Alex