[R-sig-Geo] Problems with spgrass6 and initGRASS in Fedora 14

Brian Oney zenlines at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:32:07 CEST 2011

Hi Julian,

The first steps are difficult because there is alot to know. I am new to
Ubuntu, but have gotten everything working and working well. A general
tip from Roger is to start R from GRASS, then there is no need for
initGRASS function, because the necessary environmental variable are
then set, and the .gisrc file is not endangered.

Not having worked with Fedora *, I can tell you how to do it in the
shiny new Ubuntu release.

1. open a terminal.
2. type: "grass"
3. select location and what not.
4. go to the running GRASS command line.
5. type R
6. load the spgrass package.

That should be all you need. I hope that works for you.

hth,
Brian