[R-sig-Geo] Correlation between O&D

jeremy.raw at dot.gov jeremy.raw at dot.gov
Thu Oct 13 14:40:40 CEST 2011

I'm still not entirely sure what you're getting at:  spatial correlation
of origin/destination locations to each other?  Or some characteristic
of the origin/destination pairs?  It sounds like the latter, but then
the question is "correlated with what"?

The choice of method is ultimately driven by the conceptual model of the
phenomena, which is what those questions are getting at.  If you can
answer those questions with some precision, finding an analytic method
that can implement the resulting model is fairly straightforward.

If you're still trying to sharpen your thinking (or even if you think
you have the abstractions nailed down and are just looking for
corresponding methods), I'd recommend starting with the "spatstat"
package (e.g. via the website www.spatstat.org) and following its
reference list into the world of spatial statistics.

If you're actually interested in stolen cars, you might take a look at
CrimeStat (http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/CrimeStat/) which rolls up
implementations of a lot of spatial statistics techniques that could be
applicable in tracking crimes and finding criminals.  The software is
"free as in beer" but it is not implemented in R (though I suppose one
might be able to wrap the provided library functions).  The various
analytic methods are mostly standard and reasonably well documented, so
any given analysis could be quite readily reproduced in the statistical
system of your choice.

I hope that helps!

Jeremy Raw, P.E.

FHWA Office of Planning