[R-sig-Geo] negative latitudes in coordinates function

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Oct 6 14:15:56 CEST 2011

Erin,

Southern latitudes and Greenich-west longitudes are negative coordinates
in the DD system:

 > p1 <- data.frame(lon=-10.5, lat=-10.5)
 > coordinates(p1) <- ~lon+lat
 > proj4string(p1) <- CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")
# In the DMS system, geographical coordinates are always positive:
 > dd2dms(coordinates(p1)[,1])
[1] 10d30'W
 > dd2dms(coordinates(p1)[,2], NS=TRUE)
[1] 10d30'S

sp will not accept DD values outside the -180/180 and -90/90 range (of
course):

 > p1 <- data.frame(lon=-110.5, lat=-110.5)
 > coordinates(p1) <- ~lon+lat
 > proj4string(p1) <- CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")
Error in `proj4string<-`(`*tmp*`, value = <S4 object of class "CRS">) :
   Geographical CRS given to non-conformant data

It is a bit trivial question, but things get more complicated once you
start working with geodetic datums because you can have the same
geographic coordinates that are ever kilometer away from each other (as
nicely illustrated in the ASDAR book section 4.1.3 ->
http://asdar-book.org/book/die.R).

T. Hengl
http://www.wewur.wur.nl/popups/vcard.aspx?id=HENGL001