[R-sig-Geo] Advice on Cross validation_ Computational limits of spatial interpolation

Paul Hiemstra paul.hiemstra at knmi.nl
Wed Oct 5 09:46:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

Hmmm, 3500 doesn't sound that huge to me...

I would say that more than, say, the 200 points closest to the
point-to-be-interpolated is more than enough. Gstat (and thus also
automap) supports only using the x nearest neighbors  for interpolation
through the 'nmax' argument. I'm not really sure if Tps has similar
settings, although I suspect that fitting the splines is done on the
entire dataset. Do take a look at the fastTps function in the fields
package, specifically the 'theta' argument.

good luck,
Paul

--
Paul Hiemstra, Ph.D.