[R-sig-Geo] can't get gstat to work with R 2.14.0 on Mac

Molly Davies mollymdavies at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:55:48 CET 2011

Hello,

I am unable to get gstat to load using R version 2.14.0 (2011-10-31) on platform x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64 bit). The package was working before I updated my R version.

When I tried to load gstat before i had updated it, I got the following error message. (I include this in case there are clues that might indicate the source of my problem).
> library(gstat)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
  unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/gstat/libs/x86_64/gstat.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/gstat/libs/x86_64/gstat.so, 6): Library not loaded: @rpath/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library/gstat/libs/x86_64/gstat.so
  Reason: image not found
In addition: Warning messages:
1: replacing previous import ‘is.projected’ when loading ‘spacetime’
2: replacing previous import ‘proj4string’ when loading ‘spacetime’
3: replacing previous import ‘proj4string<-’ when loading ‘spacetime’
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘gstat’

I assumed this meant I needed to update/reinstall gstat, which I did from the GUI.

> install.packages("gstat")
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/leopard/contrib/2.14/gstat_1.0-10.tgz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2888795 bytes (2.8 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 2.8 Mb

The downloaded packages are in
	/var/folders/wB/wB-s9onCFfSt45x+FPq9rE+++TI/-Tmp-//Rtmpyy3Pnp/downloaded_packages

Then when I tried to load the library again, I got the following:

> library(gstat)
Error in get(Info[i, 1], envir = env) :
  internal error -3 in R_decompress1
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘gstat’

I've never seen this error before.
Following the suggestions from a message on R-sig-ME regarding the library lme4a:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2011q3/006399.html
(I think it's irrelevant here, but I have Xcode installed.)

1. I tried installing the package from R-forge (maybe this would be better?)
> install.packages("gstat",repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")
Warning message:
In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
  package ‘gstat’ is not available (for R version 2.14.0)

2. I downloaded the "gstat" packages directly from CRAN and installed from the command line:

Molly$ R CMD INSTALL /Users/Molly/Downloads/gstat_1.0-10.tgz
* installing to library ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.14/Resources/library’
* installing *binary* package ‘gstat’ ...

* DONE (gstat)

Still no luck. Does anyone have any advice for me as far as how to proceed? I apologize in advance if my problem has already been addressed and I failed to find it in the list archives. If this is the case, I would very much appreciate it if someone could send me a link.

Thanks for your time,

Molly Davies