[R-sig-Geo] inconsistencies between readGDAL and other software (GrADS) when reading GRIB1 files

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Nov 18 12:34:38 CET 2011

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Ariel Ortiz-Bobea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been importing GRIB1 files into R through the readGDAL command in the
> GDAL package.

The readGDAL() function in the rgdal package uses GDAL and its drivers, so
see:

http://www.gdal.org/frmt_grib.html

for details. Note also:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2011-January/010760.html
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/GRIB

for a bug in the GDAL driver and a workaround, and other GRIB threads on
this list.

> However, the GRIB1 files are multi-band and during the import process I
> "lose" the variable names and get generic names: band1, band2, etc.

As far as I can see, band names are not supported in GDAL in:

http://www.gdal.org/classGDALDataset.html

or

http://www.gdal.org/classGDALRasterBand.html

but may be in http://www.gdal.org/classGDALRasterAttributeTable.html.