[R-sig-Geo] SAS to R translation help wanted

Anthony Fischbach afischbach at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 9 01:56:42 CET 2011

Satellite data collection has revolutionized our understanding of animal
movmement.
Many relocations obtained by satellite data collection suffer large
inaccuracies and must be filtered.
Carla Freitas has contributed an algorithm for filtering such tracking data
(http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/argosfilter/).  For years we have
used on an alternative algorithm written in SAS
(http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/spatial/douglas.html).  To better
serve the wildlife tracking community, we wish to translate this Douglas
algorithm from SAS and offer it as a function in the 'argosfilter' R
package.

For this translation effort we wish to contract help.
Interested parties, please contact me directly.

-----
Tony Fischbach, Wildlife Biologist
Walrus Research Program
Alaska Science Center