[R-sig-Geo] rgdal on Mac OS X 10.6.7

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed May 25 07:27:22 CEST 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Ralf Schäfer wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I tried to install rgdal in R 2.13.0 on Mac OS X 10.6.7 but it keeps
> failing no matter if I install from source or binary.

You have not said how you installed rgdal - CRAN extras binary, Kyngchaos
binary on Kyngchaos frameworks, source install on Kyngchaos frameworks, or
source on GDAL source build.

The dependency is not from rgdal directly, but rather from GDAL as loaded
by rgdal.

The standard OSX install is to use the binary package directly, by
ensuring that the CRAN extras repository is being searched:

setRepositories(ind=1:2)
install.packages("rgdal")

This installs rgdal independently of any GDAL on your platform, just like
the Windows binary package. Only standard GDAL/OGR drivers are available.
This is probably not what you did, because any GDAL on your machine and
rgdal do not interact.

If more drivers are needed, install the Kyngchaos frameworks, then the
Kyngchaos rgdal binary. The Kyngchaos GDAL build determines the available
drivers.

Equivalently, but with the full Xcode/R build train installed, you can
install from source on top of the Kyngchaos frameworks. Source or binary
installs interact with the Kyngchaos framework GDAL, so the same problem
should occur in other applications loading GDAL.

Roger