[R-sig-Geo] subs (raster) on large dataset

Robert J. Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:19:05 CEST 2011

> With this option, my code completed in 33 minutes (with the largest
> raster being ~1 GB).  I also reran my code with toDisk = FALSE, and
> watched R memory usage via top.  As you suspected, memory was
> constantly increasing, both actual and virtual. I believe I had enough
> RAM available at the time (~2 GB), so there seems to be some problem
> there, but perhaps this is an issue for R-Sig-Mac?
Hi Lyndon,

Any suggestion about how to determine the amount of RAM (true RAM,
without going to disk) on a given operating system would be very
useful. My approach is too empirical, and clearly not watertight.

I have lowered the default expectations (options), to avoid this type
of behavior. For better speed those with a lot of RAM can use
setOptions(maxmemory= ) to use larger chunks of data.

> Lastly, there is one small thing that I noticed while working on this
> issue, based on the function that follows.  I noticed that in a case
> such as this:
>
>    cat("Substituting...")
>    subs(spatialmaster, CSMtable, by = LUfield, which = outfields[i],
> subsWithNA = TRUE, filename =
>                   out.nm, datatype = type, overwrite = TRUE, progress = "text")
>
> That the progress bar and cat don't play together, in that cat is not
> displayed. I am not sure why, but perhaps it is simply being
> overwritten in the console by the progress bar?  I opted to turn off
> the progress bar in favor of the messages produced by cat in this
> case. This isn't something I am terribly concerned with, but I thought
> I would mention it in case it is of interest.

In this case you can use progress = "window"

Best, Robert