[R-sig-Geo] Performance of raster package

Luca Morandini luca.morandini1 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:17:04 CEST 2011

Folks,

I have played a bit with the R "raster" package, and found it has an impressive
list of features; however, its performance seems to be less than optimal when
confronted with sizeable rasters (say, a 250MB GeoTIFF): a focal statistics that
took less than a minute in GRASS, took 7 hours or so in R.

Is there anything I could do to speed it up (I already tried readAll before
invoking the focal statistic function) ?

Regards,

Luca Morandini
http://www.lucamorandini.it