[R-sig-Geo] Help with GeoRSS

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Sun May 8 21:43:07 CEST 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to read a GeoRSS file using library rgdal and can't seem
to get it to work. I suspect that it is because I am not specifying
the layer = argument correctly (or the dsn). Am I missing something
obvious? I am not clear what goes into this argument for this type of
file.

Some sample code:

library(rgdal)
# says GeoRSS TRUE
ogrDrivers()
getGDALVersionInfo()
# [1] "GDAL 1.8.0, released 2011/01/12"

# ERROR says 'GDAL Error 4: Failed to read GeoJSON data'
ogrInfo(dsn='http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/eqs7day-M5.xml',
	layer = 'USGS M 5+ Earthquakes')

Additionally, I am not sure why GDAL thinks the file is a GeoJSON. I also tried:

# OGRGeoJSON is apparently the predefined layer name
ogrInfo(dsn='http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/catalogs/eqs7day-M5.xml',
	layer = 'OGRGeoJSON')

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Michael

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.12.1 (2010-12-16)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] rgdal_0.6-33 sp_0.9-80

[1] grid_2.12.1     lattice_0.19-17 tools_2.12.1

--
Michael Denslow
Adjunct Instructor

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters