[R-sig-Geo] marked poisson process using a quadrature scheme and covariates in 'spatstat'

Roman Hornung romanhornung at web.de
Thu May 5 17:10:30 CEST 2011

Thank you both very much!

Some more details on the data: The individual roads are most of the time represented by more than two points. The road data consists of about 800000 points representing around 75000 roads.
I tried to convert it to a linnet-object, but got the error (translated): "error in matrix(FALSE, np, np): too many elements specified", even when I set the memory limit to the maximal possible value (on a 32-bit computer).
So I must probably give up that approach.
I must admit, I wasn't really aware, that the intensity is not defined at locations with no roads passing through. However maybe, it is negligible, that the events can only occur on roads and that there are "gaps" in the prediction, since the network of roads is very dense.
What to you think? All the other covariate are proper spatial covariates, so it would be approriate to use a spatial poisson process.

Marcelino, you wrote:
"By the way, instead of a quadrature  scheme you could also use

rsyst to generate directly a grided ppp with "real"
observations and then mark the points  at will."

Does that mean, it is irrelevant for estimation, which marks points have, that aren't at locations, where
the target variable is observed?
In the latter case, I would be able to use the quadrature scheme nevertheless, with dummy points on the roads and random marks, thereby circumventing the problem of converting the road data to an image.

However I noticed, that ppm doesn't allow continuous marks in the trend formula. Is there any other package that could handle this?
Perhaps I could use the code of the corresponding function of such a package to modify the ppm-function in spatstat. Otherwise, if unavoidable, I would have to discretize the daytime.

Regards
Roman