[R-sig-Geo] rgdal installation problem

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 3 20:22:52 CEST 2011

On Tue, 3 May 2011, Robin W Hunnewell wrote:

> Thank you.  sorry if this is basic; had just hoped to find a step-by-step
> guide for Idiots on how to install GDAL and rgdal on OSX.
>
> I downloaded the comprehensive GDAL framework provided by William
> Kyngesburye:
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> Help and 'read me' files say to install the GDAL framework with dependencies
> first, then an rgdal binary from the same site.
> But I'm not sure how to compile and configure GDAL the right way - so that it
> gets to the R library and can then be located.
> I'm sure it's just a basic step, but for someone new to this it's a little
> confusing..
> Thanks very much for the URL below, will try to work it through

If you do not need drivers other than the standard ones (shapefile,
geotiff, etc.), within R do only:

setRepositories(ind=1:2)
install.packages("rgdal")

Only use Kyngchaos if you need GDAL and the frameworks for other purposes
other than rgdal, or if you need extra drivers for rgdal not provided as
standard from CRAN extras.

Please report back if this meets your needs.

Roger