[R-sig-Geo] time-weighted kernel density interpolation

stepen.condors at gmail.com stepen.condors at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:05:03 CET 2011

Hi all
I am currently looking into developing some sort of time-weighted kernel density interpolation in R. It is my aim to build something which allows me to the the following:

- Import a point pattern p with associated times for each event
- Plot a time weighted kernel density map of p - such that more recent events have a greater weighting than those that occurred earlier.
- Ideally it would be useful to specify both the spatial and temporal bandwidths and the decay function types i.e. linear, exponential
- Import new point data and assign an intensity score to each point from its location on time-weighted kernel density surface.

Is this something that is relatively easily doable in R or am I crazy?
I have developed something similar previously in both C++ and VB.NET (cough) interfacing directly with MapInfo so I am not afraid of code.
However, as I am still relatively new to R I imagined that there were likely some better and worse ways to do this and/or libraries to look at. I have checked out the sp and spatstat libraries - but neither seem to have much to do with time, next i am considering trip. Where would you start? I would hate to waste time implementing something just because I was unaware of an existing solution.

Therefore any advice, suggestions, experiences or abuse concerning how I might accomplish this functionality would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Stepen