[R-sig-Geo] replace values in spacetime (STFDF) object

Aman Verma aman.verma at mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 11 23:28:57 CET 2011

Hi Martin,

Yeah, you can't replace values like that... here is a way to think about it. Consider:

stfdf[,1]

This returns a *completely new* spacetime object. You cannot set anything in this object because it has not been assigned to any variable.

So, if you select

stfdf[ , 1]@data$values

You are saying: create a completely new spacetime object and then select the 'data' data frame, and select the 'values' column. Now, if you try to say:

stfdf[,1]@data$values = stfdf at data[,1] + 1

Then you are saying: create a *completely new* spacetime object, select a column on its 'data' dataframe and then try to *assign* some value to this completely new object. But you haven't assigned this new object to any variable! So how can you assign a value in it? It would be like saying

c(1,2,3) <- c(4,5,6)

You could say:

x=c(1,2,3)
x=c(4,5,6)

In the same way, you can't assign a value to a variable that hasn't already been 'set' somewhere. (It is a little more complicated than that, but it is a good way to think about it). So, if you wanted, you could do

x=stfdf[,1]@data$values
x=stfdf[,1]@data$values +1

But that isn't what you want. Your problem is that you want to change a subset of the *data frame that exists within stfdf*. The only way to assign to that data frame is to index to it directly.

stfdf at data[*some row*,*some column*]  = whatever.

But the problem is that you don't know which rows and columns correspond to the time and space subset you want, right? So you find those rows with some comparisons. So, first try just taking the subset you want

stfdf[,'2010-08-05 11:00:00::2010-08-05 12:00:00']

Now, you'll notice that it only retained the data for the time that you subsetted. You can use the column ID to set the values in the original! So,

subset.ids = stfdf[,'2010-08-05 11:00:00::2010-08-05 12:00:00']@data$ID
# That will get you a list of the IDS of the rows you want to change.
stfdf at data$ID %in% subset.ids
# That is a list of true and false, TRUE where your data frame row is in the subset, and FALSE when it is not

You can use this vectors of logicals to change the values you want, and not the others. Like say you wanted to increase the value of just the subset by one:

subset= stfdf at data$ID %in% subset.ids
stfdf at data[subset,'value'] = stfdf at data[subset,'value'] + 1

Now, you could argue that doesn't stfdf at data[subset,'value'] return a *completely new* object, that cannot be assigned to? The answer is no. It appears that for simple objects, like data.frames, you can assign things in this way, but for complex objects, like spacetime objects, you can't. I don't know exactly why... my intuition is that it would be very complicated to allow this behaviour. I think this is what the error is trying to tell you: spacetime is an 'S4' object, which is not subsettable like a data frame is.

aman