[R-sig-Geo] Standardizing Moran's I

Giancarlo Sadoti gsadoti at syr.edu
Wed Mar 9 21:56:15 CET 2011

Greeting list members,

I'm analyzing the global spatial autocorrelation of a continuous vegetation attribute (MSH) among multiple (15-30) plots (secondary sampling units) across 76 sites (primary sampling units).  I've used the Moran's I permutation test (moran.mc) in the spdep package to do this.  I've included my code from one of my 76 sites:

----------
> library(spdep)
> head(data)
    EAST   NORTH MSH
1 274276 4818867  70
2 274300 4818942  70
3 274249 4818900  60
4 274258 4818900  60
5 274299 4818900  66
6 274304 4818900  66

> dist=as.matrix(dist(cbind(data$EAST,data$NORTH)))
> inv.dist=1/dist
> diag(inv.dist)=0
> lw=mat2listw(inv.dist)
> m=moran.mc(data$MSH,lw,nsim=1000)

        Monte-Carlo simulation of Moran's I

data:  data$MSH
weights: lw
number of simulations + 1: 1001

statistic = 0.1704, observed rank = 999, p-value = 0.001998
alternative hypothesis: greater