[R-sig-Geo] package to query Google for latitude and longitude for a given ZIP code

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 8 18:33:55 CET 2011

Read the terms of service agreement. You can use the service for the
purposes of displaying information on a Google map, but not store the
information or use it for non-display purposes. To use it in R, you will
be using it for non-display purposes and you will likely store it. This
topic has been discussed on this list before.

You could use the city, and take advantage of the U.S. Board on
Geographic Names (public domain) data. See http://geonames.usgs.gov