[R-sig-Geo] package to query Google for latitude and longitude for a given ZIP code

Tom Sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Tue Mar 8 18:29:41 CET 2011

Andrew:

I don't know if it matters to your goal, but there are some zip codes that do not correspond to locations, and some correspond to locations best represented by a line, not an area.  The post office originally set them up to represent delivery routes or groups of routes, and most of them represent a place, but not all do.  I ran across a note about the limitations of zip codes as a representation of areas in the technical docs of some US Census data once.   I know of one zip code near me that contains a couple of buildings that aren't next to each other.  Some geographic information is better than none, but I don't know what you'd do about a situation like that.

 -Tom