[R-sig-Geo] Co-kriging

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Mar 2 08:12:31 CET 2011

On 03/02/2011 07:21 AM, Alex Lechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might be an easy question for many of you.
>
> In the literature on co-kriging I have noticed that co-kriging is often used when the  co-variable is more abundant than the target variable. Is this an assumption that must be met when conducting co-kriging?

No.

However, if the interest is in the primary variable, one or more
secondary variables that are not sampled more densely than the primary
variable improve the prediction usually very little, when compared to
ordinary kriging.

When one uses cokriging because one is interested in multivariable
prediction, meaning that not only the predictions and prediction errors
of all p variables are of interest, but also their prediction error
covariances, cokriging is needed anyhow, irrespective differences in
abundance.