[R-sig-Geo] predict a map from point data

Tom Gottfried tom.gottfried at wzw.tum.de
Tue Mar 1 16:51:13 CET 2011

Hi Sadz,

Am 01.03.2011 15:59, schrieb Sadz A:
> Hi Tom,
>
> For the krigging I used variogram and modelling through arcGIS. the
> predictions are bad in the sense that If predictions are plotted against
> real data (where you would get a 1:1 line if it was a perfect model) I
> get strait horizontal line.
>
> (what is 'a Gaußian model and doing block kriging', and how does it
> work/differ from the Arcgis approach (which was called ordinary
> krigging)?

You can consult any textbook on geostatistic to learn about it (e.g. Goovaerts, 1997. Geostatistics
for Natural Resources Evaluation). For R-specific things the ASDAR-book (Bivand et al., 2008,
Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R) is appropriate.

> I think the problem with using the krigging is that it
> assumes that things that are closer are more alike,

... respectively more "similar". Depending on the semivariogram-model, this is often assumed.

> but with the volume
> this does not necessarily seem to hold true...

Thinking of steres of wood standing on a unit area, I would intuitively suggest that it does hold
true. But this is beyond my (and probably the lists) scope.

regards,
Tom

email: tom.gottfried at wzw.tum.de
http://www.wzw.tum.de/gruenland