[R-sig-Geo] reading gpx using readOGR

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Jul 24 08:49:07 CEST 2011

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011, Roman Luštrik wrote:

> I've installed a build of GDAL from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/. The
> information for the build I'm using (GDAL 1.8.1, 64 bit) says that
> expat-2.0.1-VS10 has been used to compile GDAL. Still no dice.
>
> FWIW, this is the output I get when I load rgdal.
>
>> library(rgdal)
> Geospatial Data Abstraction Library extensions to R successfully loaded
> Loaded GDAL runtime: GDAL 1.7.2, released 2010/04/23

You have multiple installed GDAL libraries. The one found when installin
rgdal is the one you see with gdal-config --version without any extra
steps. Disambiguate your GDAL installations, or, better, install expat
(perhaps binary) then GDAL from source. Many binary builds on Linux are
badly made and confusing.

Roger

> Path to GDAL shared files:
> C:/Users/romunov/Documents/R/win-library/2.13/rgdal/gdal
> Loaded PROJ.4 runtime: Rel. 4.7.1, 23 September 2009, [PJ_VERSION: 470]
> Path to PROJ.4 shared files:
> C:/Users/romunov/Documents/R/win-library/2.13/rgdal/proj
>

> Cheers,
> Roman
>

> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Roger Bivand <Roger.Bivand at nhh.no> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011, Roman Luštrik wrote:
>>
>>  Thank you Roger for taking interest in this. Your time is very
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> Unfortunately, the GPX driver may be built write-only if GDAL was not built
>> with expat - the same applies to KML. This appears to be your situation. I
>> suggest upgrading your GDAL, and making sure that it is built with expat.
>>
>> Roger
>>

>>> I do have a "standalone" gdal version installed (from a while back) but I
>>> think it may be "dead". I can't access ogrinfo through a command prompt
>>> (only if I run a special .bat that sets up the SDK shell) even though I
>>> have
>>> the /gdal/bin in my PATH. If I run ogrinfo in the aforementioned SDK
> [...]
>>> 2          AVCE00 FALSE
>>> 3             BNA  TRUE
>>> 4             CSV  TRUE
>>> 5             DGN  TRUE