[R-sig-Geo] spgrass6 "r.in.wms"

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Jul 20 13:54:40 CEST 2011

On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, dman wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm trying to get some .wms info to plug into a process I have developed in
> R.
>
> Has anyone tried to implement "r.in.wms" via R opened within GRASS? Here is
> my swing at it.
> http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/file/n6600318/question_to_r-sig_re_wms.txt
> question_to_r-sig_re_wms.txt
>
> the error is around the maxrow, and maxcol not being integers. Is this a
> issue of using "list"? or possibly something else?

Your input:

pars<-list(mapserver="http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi", format="jpeg",
   maxrows=5, maxcols=5, method="nearest")

is not correct. When GRASS wants an integer, it has to be an integer. The
command works with:

pars<-list(mapserver="http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi", format="jpeg",
   maxrows=as.integer(5), maxcols=as.integer(5), method="nearest")

and

pars<-list(mapserver="http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi", format="jpeg",
   maxrows=5L, maxcols=5L, method="nearest")

where 5L defines an integer constant.

See

is.integer(5)

a numeric constant, and

is.integer(5L)

If you need WMS access directly from R, and if your GDAL is build with WMS
support, you may also be able to use readGDAL() or similar rgdal functions
directly.

Hope this helps,

Roger