[R-sig-Geo] newbie qx on differences between WGS84 and NAD83

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Tue Jul 19 04:55:28 CEST 2011

David

You need to look at the underlying definition - you can find it at http://spatialreference.org/ - this is the Human readable OGC WKT

WGS84 = EPSG: 4326

GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.257223563,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
    UNIT["degree",0.01745329251994328,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]]

NAD83 = EPSG: 4269

GEOGCS["NAD83",
    DATUM["North_American_Datum_1983",
        SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6269"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
    UNIT["degree",0.01745329251994328,
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]],
    AUTHORITY["EPSG","4269"]]

It would seem that the different datums use the different spheroid, but the same prime meridian and units. I confess to not understanding the Authority fully, nor why the NAD83 shown at http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/4269/ seems to cover almost all of the northern hemisphere except North America...

cheers

Ben