[R-sig-Geo] plotting geographic coordinates on a map

Robert Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 02:29:34 CEST 2011

> I simply would like to plot these on a map of the US. I've tried all sorts
of approaches, including
>> map('usa', project='albers', par=c(39,34))
>> points(x=data$LONGITUDE, y=data$LATITUTUDE, col='red')

You are plotting longitude/latitude data on an map with Albers projection.
Won't give you what you want.
Either transform the long/lat data to Albers (with the right parameters),
e.g. using spTransform (rgdal package), or do:

library(maps)
map('usa')
points(x=data$LONGITUDE, y=data$LATITUTUDE, col='red')

#You can have a look at the difference in coordinates like this
map('usa')
locator(1) # click on the center of the map
map('usa', project='albers')
locator(1) # click on the center of the map

>> library(sp)
>> coordinates(WNV) <- c("latitude", "longitude")
>> map('world')
>> plot(WNV$latitude, WNV$longitude)

Instead, do:

map('world')