[R-sig-Geo] plot3D raster coordinates

Robert Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 02:19:49 CEST 2011

> (plot3D is in fact in the rasterVis package now)
>
> There's an adjustment factor additional to the zfac parameter. It is
> impossible to override it. The solution I've found is to comment these
> lines
> and run the function under another name (these lines are present 2 times).
>
>#         adj <- zlen/min(ylen,xlen)
>#         X <- X * adj * zfac
>#         Y <- Y * adj * zfac
>
>If you need to keep the zfac, I'd suggest to put it directly on Z.
>Z <- t((getValues(x, format='matrix'))[nrow(x):1,]) * zfac
>
>I'd be curious to hear why is the z scaling factor is applied in that
>fashion.

The zfac could be changed, but I think the main issue is the "adj" factor
that scales the x, y and z values to get a nice 3D plot. It may be possible
to do this differently, and I will try to do that; I had overlooked this
problem (of wrong coordinates on the axis, and not being able to correctly
plot vector data on top). Thanks for pointing this out,

Robert