[R-sig-Geo] Mapping contours from jpg map

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:33:53 CEST 2011

Apart from grass gis, you can also do this in saga gis, or run this
through RSAGA. Since it seems you have to do this only once, it would
be much easier to just use the GUI.

1) Open your shapefile
2) run the module grid\shapes to grid (choose a reasonable cell size)
3) run the module grid\close gaps (you now have a altitude grid)
4) run the module terrain analysis\morphometry\slope,aspect... (you
now have a slope grid)
5) you could now overlay your points, or do that in R.

http://www.saga-gis.org

Johan