[R-sig-Geo] Assessing and ranking the relationships and contribution of environmental correlates to species richness

ah3881 ah3881 at bristol.ac.uk
Sun Jul 3 21:27:41 CEST 2011

I am trying to run some analysis to determine the percentage contribution
of various factors (minimum temp in lgm, npp, etc) on determining
species richness of 171 species throughout Southeast Asia (on a km by km
basis-so over 4 million rows of cells, and about 14 columns).
I have read about various stats tests, and softwares-but I am no
statistician and I would really appreciate some advice as to the best
method/tests.
So far I have been attempting SPSS, but it does not give me the outputs I
need, and a colleague suggested R might be the best way to analyse the data
Thanks in advance