[R-sig-Geo] Learning "raster"

Robert Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 04:28:03 CET 2011

Steve,

> But now I don' see an approach to subsetting this on the temporal domain.
> Does raster support this kind of analysis?

x <- subset(ss, 2:10)
x <- ss[[2:10]]

But perhaps you do not need to subset, as you can probably use 'stackApply'
for your purposes

> cellStats should be able to handle multiple layers and calculate the
> statistics using data from each layer.  Is that right ?

Yes.

> Jan.ras <-  raster(Jan)

You could try:
 Jan.ras <-  brick(Jan)

> What can you recommend to help me. I'm currently reading the "Introduction
> to the 'raster' package (1.7.-29) and the manual for the raster package as
> well.

Steven Mosher has a couple of scripts on his blog that deal with climate
data in ncdf files. That is probably the best place to go given that you are
doing something similar. http://stevemosher.wordpress.com/

Robert