[R-sig-Geo] quick question on geary.test in spdep

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 24 09:44:23 CET 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Seth J Myers wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> From R documentation, the default alternative hypothesis for moran.test
>> in spdep is "greater" which leads me to think that the null hypothesis
>> is then "less than or equal to zero" or no or negative autocorr.  A
>> small p-value for this test would indicate a rejection of the null and
>> support for positive spatial autocorrelation as measured by Moran's I.
>> Is this correct so far?
>
> Geary's C stat as calculated by geary.test has a default alt. hypothesis
> "greater" as well.  However, the expected value for Geary's C is 1 and
> values below this indicates positive autocorrelation and values above 1
> indicate negative autocorrelation.  So, it seems the null as a default
> is "less than or equal to 1" (positive or no autocorr).  A small p-value
> would then indicate support for negative autocorrelation.  Is this
> correct?
>
> If I am reading the documentation correctly and asking an obvious
> question, I am sorry.  It is confusing to me because I would expect the
> default alternative hypotheses of the two tests to have p-values with
> similar interpretations.

Since June 2009, geary.test() reports (EC - C) / sqrt(VC) as the standard
deviate, replacing the previous, more usual, (C - EC) / sqrt(VC), and now
agrees with Cliff & Ord (1973, p. 21). I've added further explanation on
the help page. This means that the "greater" alternative for the Geary C
test corresponds to the "greater" alternative for Moran's I test. The
other possibility - not following Cliff & Ord - would be to do as you
suggest, but it seems better to stay with their decision to change the
sign for the standard deviate.

Hope this clarifies,

Roger