[R-sig-Geo] Function to smooth grids using n x n window moving average (low-pass filter)

piero campa piero.campa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:56:46 CET 2011

Very quick method Paul,
I tried on my own by simple pixel by pixel computing and the result is much
slower.
Good work.

Anyway I was trying to understand how to yield a small modification to your
code:
having a SpatiaGridDataFrame with NA holes, I noticed that the borderline
pixels turn to NA too (and that's because x + NA = NA in R by default),
letting theholes grow proportionally to the kernel size (just like the
border pixels in a fullgrid data frame).

I was trying to do add the ability to ignore NAs (just like it's in the sum
method with na.rm = TRUE).
I can't find the way however.

Thank for any suggestion !
Cheers,