[R-sig-Geo] shapefiles + plot

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Jan 18 19:38:01 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM, GEMA FERNANDEZ-AVILES CALDERON
<Gema.FAviles at uclm.es> wrote:
> Dear all:
>
> first of all, thank you very much for helping me to solve the doubts I wrote you in the previous mail.
>
> I've a shapefiles with some variables and I would like to plot a map with the basic descriptives of the variable. How Can I do it?
>
> I am tryining to use "readOGR", but I don't know if it is correct.

 That is one way, but readOGR can read all sorts of geographic data
and can get complicated. You might want to try readShapeSpatial from
the maptools package.

 Install maptools, then help(readShapeSpatial) will give you some examples.

Barry