[R-sig-Geo] transformin multipart shapefile to singlepart shapefile

Georg Ruß research at georgruss.de
Tue Jan 18 12:40:12 CET 2011

On 18/01/11 11:47:38, Franziska Schulze wrote:
> is there a package in R that allows me to split multipart shapefiles in
> singlepart ones? In my shape file there is a region that consists of
> more than one parts. For my spatial econometric analysis, I only need
> one of these parts as the other do not have a particular meaning in my
> context. I read the shapefile using readShapePoly (package maptools).

Hi Franziska,

it would help us if you could provide an example with code. If there's
some standard data in R, try using that (like in the example of
?readShapePoly).

I guess what you want to do can be achieved by leaving the multipart
shapefile intact and instead selecting specific things (those for your
analysis) from that. Probably Roger is going to comment on this. You may
try looking into "Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R", if you haven't
done that so far.

Regards,
Georg.
--