[R-sig-Geo] Reached total memory allocation - stack raster

Robert Hijmans r.hijmans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 07:48:02 CET 2011

> Question: is there a way to deal with the memory issues? Note that saving
> the file to disc didn't solve this problem.

This should not happen, so thanks for reporting (as did Marcia two weeks
ago.
http://r-sig-geo.2731867.n2.nabble.com/memory-issues-w-raster-processing-td5875072.html
)

"calc" was being too optimistic in its assessment of memory needs (it
ignored the number of layers in the stack used). I have adjusted that, and I
guess that it will now work (version 1.7-30; should be available from
R-Forge in 24 hours).

For now, you could use make adjustments with options 'maxmemory' and/or
'chunksize', by giving them lower values (but not too low for speed's sake).
E.g.

showOptions()
setOptions(maxmemory=1e+08, chunksize=100000)
showOptions()

Robert