[R-sig-Geo] reading into R IPCC data files

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Sun Jan 16 16:28:48 CET 2011

Marco,

I just took a look at the data; unfortunately, it's not in a very usable format without reformatting it for
importing the data into either R or a GIS, such as GRASS GIS. I'm sure an experienced R programmer could
write a clever R script to do what you want. Personally, I would write a Perl script to reformat the data to
import directly into GRASS GIS. I looked at the HADCM3_A2a_PREC_1980.tar.gz data and it is cell-centered.
GRASS grids are referenced by the lower-left grid corner. I noticed that there are many different grid spacings
and not all the grids are square, they are rectangular. Bottom line is that a lot of care is going to be needed
to manipulate these data sources. I have to think that somewhere there must be this same data available in grib
format, which imports into GRASS very easily.

Regards,
Tom