[R-sig-Geo] RASTER or RGDAL package

Carsten Neumann carstennh at aol.com
Fri Jan 14 15:43:10 CET 2011

  Am 14.01.2011 15:13, schrieb Malik Shahzad:
> Dear mailing list.. Please give me some information.
> Which one is best fit for Remote Sensing Data RASTER or RGDAL package???
>
> with Best Regards,
>

> Malik
>
>      [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Dear Malik,

to handle large datasets package raster is the best solution. Using
rgdal causes memory error because data is directly read into memory.
Especially multidimesnional remote sensing images are characterized by a
huge amount of data that has to be processed. The package raster allows
to read and process blocks of data from a path where your image is
stored on disc. Additionally you can use rgdal drivers in raster  to
store your processed image result in different formats.

With best regards

Carsten