[R-sig-Geo] Installation of rgdal from CRAN on MACOSX does not work

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 10 20:59:32 CET 2011

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Roger Bivand wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010, Roger Bivand wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Agustin Lobo wrote:
>>
>>> Roger,
>>>
>>> But
>>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/software/frameworks/rgdal-0.6.29-1.zip
>>> installs with no problems on the same machine and on the same R, would
>>> that not
>>> discard the possibility of an
>>>
>>> as you suggest?
>>>
>>> Please note I'm not personally in a hurry any more as we can work with
>>> the rgdal from kyngchaos.
>>
>> I will have access to an OSX laptop in a little over a week, and will try
>> out the CRAN rgdal binaries. Just one report of installation failure isn't
>> enough. I think that maybe someone on R-sig-mac might know why rgdal.so is
>> looking for libR.dylib; I don't use OSX, and don't have easy access to such
>> a machine, which is why I asked for others to comment.
>
> On a Leopard 10.5.8, I see the problem reported by Agus for the CRAN-extra
> OSX binary rgdal package and freshly installed R 2.12.1 (libR.dylib image not
> found) in the 32-bit R-GUI, but no problem when running R from the command
> line. A different problem (mach-o, but wrong architecture) occurs in 64-bit
> systems, both run from the command line and from R-GUI. Could anyone who
> wants to follow this up please post to R-sig-Mac, which is the correct list
> for OSX issues?
>
> Conclusion: on Leopard, the CRAN extras rgdal binary can be used in the
> 32-bit R application run from the command line, but not otherwise. R 2.12.1
> installs the 64-bit GUI into the OSX applications toolbar - one needs to open
> a terminal and type "R", checking that the length of a pointer is 4, to run
> the version that works.

Prof. Ripley has updated the OSX CRAN extras rgdal binaries to rgdal
0.6.33, and this new version is confirmed to work under Leopard both 32
and 64 bit, both GUI and terminal. So the simplest way to install rgdal
for OSX for the basic set of GDAL and OGR drivers is once again:

setRepositories(ind=1:2)
install.packages("rgdal")

Roger