[R-sig-Geo] (no subject)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Jan 10 20:25:08 CET 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, Giuseppe Amatulli wrote:

> Hi,
> first of all  happy new year!
>
> I'm trying to do forest species distribution at European level (1 km
> resolution) by means of  randomForest running it in a cluster
> computer. I'm using several predictors of different data sources. All
> of them are rasters in grass format.  Therefore i was using spgrass6
> to import the data in to R and apply randomForest prediction to the
> layers.
>
> In the same time, reading carefully the help page of the raster
> package seems to me that his "row by row" feature allows a better
> performance of the memory limitation, compare to spgrass6. It is this
> the case?
> If raster package is more efficient, how i can use it to import grass
> data?  I suppose by reading the raster under the cellhd folder
>>  maps  <-  stack ( c ( 'LOCATION/PERMANENT/cellhd/grid1','LOCATION/PERMANENT/cellhd/grid2'))

In principle, the GRASS GDAL plugin should work in this way, but you can
also use g.region in GRASS to set the region for readRAST6() to read,
which could be in tiles or rows at your convenience. This might be easier
if the predicted tiles are to be written back to GRASS as part of the
process. It would be overkill to think of this kind of iterated region
support in raster, which uses the region.dim= and offset= features of the
GDAL interface, I think.

It would be fun to see whether SAGA could be used in the same way with
raster, as there is a SAGA GDAL driver.

Roger