[R-sig-Geo] Dont show zero values in line graph

jroll jroll at lcog.org
Fri Jan 7 04:11:27 CET 2011

Hey everyone,
   Im getting better at plotting my data but cant for the life of me figure
out how to show a line graph with missing data that doesnt continue the line
down to zero then back up to the remaining values.

Consider the following
x<-c(1:5,0,0,8:10)
y<-1:10

plot(0,0,xlim=c(0,10), ylim=c(0,10),type="n",main="Dont show the bloody 0
values!!")
lines(x~y, col="blue", lwd=2,)

My data is missing the 6th and 7th values and they come in as NA's so i
change them to 0s but then the plot has these ugly lines that dive toward
the x axis then back up.  I would do bar plots but i need to show multiple
sets of data on the same and side by side bars doesnt do it for me.

So i need a line graph that starts and stops where 0s or missing values
exist.  Thoughts?

JR