[R-sig-Geo] Question for point pattern experts

Dan Putler dan.putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Fri Feb 11 22:00:45 CET 2011

OK, I'm really slow to responding to this thread, but I've been thinking
about it. Are there covariates available (besides time) that can be
used? If yes, doesn't it make sense to look at this using a spatial
autoregressive regression model? Since the lakes typically don't touch,
then the spatial weight matrix would need to be based on distance. I'm
not sure what the correct projection is if it goes really far north, and
as far south as the southern Niagara Peninsula. A distance preserving
projection would make the most sense, but UTM (the likely culprit) I
know will breakdown if some of the lakes are too close to the north pole.

Dan