[R-sig-Geo] Using neighbours outside the area of analysis for constructing spatial weight matrices

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Feb 8 21:27:46 CET 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, alfonso echazarra wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am constructing a spatial weight matrix and would like to use
> neighbours that are not part ofthe area I am analysing. In this case, I
> am investigating crime rates within Madrid and I would like to use
> Madrid's adjacent census tracts to construct the spatial weights for
> census tracts on the edge of Madrid (queen contiguity rule). Is that
> possible? Spatial weights matrices and dataset that are analysed need to
> be of same size?

With very few exceptions, they need to be of the same size. The exception
is that localmoran.sad() and localmoran.exact() take a select= argument to
select the zones to be tested, but even here the length of the nb object
and the number of observations must agree - you just do not have to
compute local Moran's I for all of the observations. My impression is that
the distributional assumptions behind the tests would be affected if some
of the x_j were omitted from computation but included in the spatial lags
through w_{ij}. It may be possible to construct a lagged variable for
inclusion in a regression, but I'm not sure whether this would address the
edge effects you seem to be concerned about.

Roger